Flamborough Head Lighthouse
The 17th century Beacon Tower slightly inland from Flamborough Head’s newer lighthouse, looks to the casual onlooker like an original lighthouse structure and indeed some claim that that is what it was. This lighthouse was built in 1673 with the permission of Charles II, who also gave permission for the collection of dues from passing ships. More credibly it is thought to be simply a beacon tower and now used as a lighthouse to warn of the perilous cliffs of Flamborough Head, the iron grill at the top being for bushes and wood to burn as warning at times of wartime invasion.
What is believed to be the original lighthouse was built in 1806 by a local customs officer to warn of the dangers of the rocky coast, some 174 ships having foundered off the coast in the previous 36 years. The present lighthouse, a towering 92’ high and with over 3.5 million candle power is visible from the sea for some 21 miles.